One of the marks of an empowered person is his or her capacity to remain positive amidst difficult times. And such an attitude is very much needed these days.
A news item in the US said that today, there is a deep need for the people of this great country to experience a resurgence of optimism. There are reasons to be depressed – the economy, the politics, the environment – but there are always reasons to hope. That is where health and wellness come in. Those who are mentally strong can see the dark and trying times – do not deny them – but they find a way of seeing the light.
HOW DO WE STAY POSITIVE?
1. Remain calm. Nothing can be achieved if you panic. To remain calm is to mitigate any feelings of fear. Sleep well and always do some breathing exercises.
2. Get in touch with your inner strength and hope. Regardless of your present reality and despite the predictions, the future is not set in stone. So, visualize a better future than the one who is causing your depression and fear.
3. Count your gifts and blessings. Bank accounts might be drained and debts might be mounting for some. But maybe we have our health, our experience, our families, our house, our gardens to give us hope.
4. Continue to be productive – both at home and in your job. And if you are jobless, continue to be active in your job search.
5. Try something new. The internet offers so many opportunities these days to learn and to earn. There is bound to be something that excites your imagination.
6. Finally, commit to continued growth and self- improvement. Tame your feelings. Reinvent yourself. Seek counseling if necessary.